Advent begins in a month, which is when most of the festive season’s celebrations really get going. Whether you’re planning sweet treats and cakes for friends, family or Christmas lunch, our Christmas cake courses will teach you how to decorate a traditional rich fruit cake with royal icing or sugarpaste and offer a contemporary twist on a non-fruit cake version. Click here for the listings of all our seasonal courses but these are our top five picks for November and December:
• Contemporary Buttercream Christmas Cake, Friday 9th December 2016:
If a rich fruit cake isn’t for you, then you can still create a beautiful centrepiece with this moist almond and orange sponge filled with cranberry jam and covered in an ombre buttercream and Christmas tree decorations.
• Foundation Royal Icing Christmas Cake, Sat 26th & Sunday 27th November 2016
Suitable for beginners, this class by wedding cake designer Toby Griffiths will teach the basics of royal icing to a professional standard.
• Foundation Sugarpaste Christmas Cake, Friday 2nd December 2016 and on Monday 5th December 2016
This December we’re running two Foundation sugarpaste and marzipan courses for decorating your Christmas cakes. Both feature a classic festive green, red and white colour palette, so all you need to decide is which one you prefer!
• Christmas Inspiration Royal Icing, Saturday 3rd December 2016
Let our tutor Tessa guide you through the creation of a beautifully detailed filigree sleigh and pastillage snowflakes, and all the while you’ll hone your piping skills too.
And if you’re searching for the ‘perfect’ Christmas cake recipe, fruit cake-maker Kathy Moore has written a hard-to-resist rich fruit cake recipe, along with tips for making, baking and keeping the finished article. For friends dropping by for a chat or for children’s playdates, why not try making these super-cute Christmas Pudding whoopie pies or white Christmas tree biscuits? Enjoy!
- Naomi Yamamoto Sugarflower Master Course in China
- NEW Carlos Lischetti modelling courses in China
- Meet the Squires Kitchen International School tutor... Laura Dodimead
- Cherry and Coconut Slices
Stay in touch with everything Squires by signing up to our newsletter.